Recent Posts

Tenure Elongation, Islamic Banking Whose Idea then?

Single tenure was not my idea; it was the idea of the committee that I chaired - Says President Jonathan.

Reacting to criticism that has followed reports that President Goodluck Jonathan plans to forward a bill to the National Assembly that calls for the establishment of a single term tenure for the president and governors, the president pointed out that the idea did not originate from him, but was raised, discussed and accepted in a committee that included all political parties, except ACN.

The inter-party committee had been set up by the late President Yar’Adua, who sent a memo to the Justice Muhammadu Uwais Committee on Electoral Review, as a contribution to the committee’s efforts to find lasting solution to the crisis of confidence that trails elections in Nigeria.

“Before I take any decision, I used to consult. But, that is not the end of consultation. It is a major chain. So, before I can send such a bill to the National Assembly, I will consult with the governors because, any constitutional amendment involves the states and if they are not on the same page with you, there is no way such an amendment can easily sail through.”

“I have not even discussed with the governors. I have never. He also explained how the issue got to the attention of the populace, saying “I asked one or two people about this and I felt that it was a good idea. So, the issue leaked out to the press and instead of talking about whether the issue is a single tenure or we should continue with the tenure, people are rather pinning it to elongation of tenure.

“Because of those challenges, the late President set up the Justice Uwais Committee to look into Electoral Reform and so on. He also asked all the parties to come together and form a team so that all the parties will submit a common position. And he asked me then as the Vice-President, to chair the inter-party committee to come up with a common memorandum to the Justice Uwais Committee. “I chaired that committee. We invited all the parties that formed government and they participated. Only ACN did not participate. To be fair to them, the other parties attended and we spent almost three weeks or a month. The report is there.

“Because the way the information flowed, we said we will correct the impression. I have nothing to do with the four year presidency that Nigerians have given to us. We just wanted to clarify it and I think we need to mention that it was not my idea; it was the idea of the committee that I chaired which we believe those of us, the majority members of the committee believe, is the best option.”

On The Other Hand Governor of the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN), Mallam Sanusi Lamido Sanusi, has said contrary to public perception, it was not his idea to introduce Islamic banking - also known as "non-interest banking" - into the Nigerian financial system. The credit, he said, should go to his predecessor in office, Professor Chukwuma Soludo, whom he said developed the processes and procedures for the formation and implementation of the system before he left office in 2009.

"I inherited the idea. A committee on the formation of Islamic bank was appointed and this was led by a Deputy Governor of the CBN Mr. Tunde Lemo... the committee was fully satisfied with the proposal and formation. So this is not my idea, I met it on ground."

Here are some Other Comments Made by People in response to the Comic Presentation of this issue. and sorry this funny comic photo is not my Idea oh I only copied it.

Thanks.

Tags: ,

Related Posts

No comments:

Leave a Reply